Sapodilla (Manilkara zapota), also known as chico fruit, is a long lived, evergreen tree. Sapodilla is high in fiber content. This makes the fruit very good for digestion and for treating constipation.
The fruit contains important vitamins like Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Vitamin A helps to ensure proper vision and helps to maintain healthy skin and mucus membranes. Vitamin C helps the body develop a resistance against pathogens and to get rid of free radicals.
- FLAVOR: The fruit has an exceptionally sweet and malty flavor. Sapodilla’s flavor is sweet due to the
existence of high quantities of fructose and sucrose
- TEXTURE: Soft and juicy texture
- COLOR: The skin is edible and is smooth and covered in a fuzzy brown coat. Inside, its flesh ranges from a pale yellow to an earthy brown color with a grainy texture akin to that of a well-ripened pear.
- SHAPE: Formed from the numerous superior ovaries, giving them an irregular ovoid shape
- WEIGHT: 400-1,000 gr
- RIPENING CLUES: Sapodillas should be allowed to ripen at room temperature and are ready to eat
when firm with a slight give to them. Squeeze gently to feel the texture for the ripeness.